Donors selecting the Blood Assurance option receive unlimited blood coverage for each beneficiary, determined by the donor and chosen as follows:
- Donor and immediate family (defined as tax dependents and parents residing in the same household)
- Donor and maximum of three other individuals
- Four other individuals, excluding donor
- Unlimited blood coverage from Blood Assurance will begin 15 days after the date of blood donation and be valid for one year from the date of donor’s blood donation. Coverage includes unlimited reimbursement for all blood components, including apheresis components, transfused anywhere in the United States, but excludes commercially prepared plasma derivatives and coagulation factors.
- Pre-existing illnesses are excluded from the Blood Assurance coverage.
- Insurance-first policy: Blood Assurance will be implemented only after insurance pays policy limits.
Placing a Blood Assurance Claim
Follow the instructions to fill out the Blood Assurance Claim Form. Payment will not be rendered until claim form is received and hospital verification of components used is complete. Compensation will be made directly to the patient.
The Blood Replacement program was established to support patients who are not already covered under the Blood Assurance program and to support patients with pre-existing illnesses.
For each pint of blood donated as a replacement for a specific patient, The Blood Center will issue $10 directly to the patient.
For every platelet apheresis donation designated as a replacement unit for a specific patient, The Blood Center will issue $30 directly to the patient.
Placing a Blood Replacement Claim
Blood Replacement Drives
Friends and family may make replacement donations at any one of our donor centers or blood drives. Make sure that they choose "Replacement" at time of donation. We would also be happy to help you set up a replacement blood drive.Tweet